Friday, February 5, 2016

Food and Fitness


We are going to have a great time learning and playing this month with a new Mother Goose Time theme, Food and Fitness! So far this week we have already learned about the food groups. We are learning where our food comes from and having some while figuring it all out! 


Also this month, I will be assessing each child to see where they are in their pre-K development. February is usually the month where I start to see where some of the holes are and being to challenge the students to push past their comfort zones to grow beyond what is easy for them. This can be anything from scholastics development, physical, creative, to social development. The Mother Goose Time curriculum offers many diverse experiences to observe the children. 

As I set up planned activities, I like to observe how their fine motor skill are coming along. This little one sometimes flips her had around while cutting. I see her struggling and can tell she gets frustrated at why her scissors aren't working like she wants them to. I will remind her to reposition her hand  like she is shaking hands with someone. Once she corrects her hand it's smooth sailing! 

There are no problems in the imagination department with these three. I called for time to be up like 5 times but the cutting and sandwich building just kept going and going.

As a group I am working with them all on using their time wisely. Some kids really hurry fast through everything. Their journals, crafts, snacks, games. They just want to be done and move on to something else. I feel like they miss out on enjoying the process just to be done with it.  Some kids take a very very long time to do these things. They want every detail perfect or they can't decide on what color to use so they might sit and think about it for a long time. They miss out on some extra activities because we have moved on to a new activity.  I LOVE all the diverse personalities and natures in children. I never want to change who they are but guide them to using their time wisely. 

It is a challenge for me to allow each child to be an individual and work at the pace that is right for them while still keeping the class work moving forward. I try to have extra activities available for the fast finishers so that they are never just sitting and waiting.



My goals for this month is not to only assess each student but to assess and set some goals for myself as well. I sometimes get in a rut with my routine. While I am going to be stretching them out of their comfort zones to become better prepared for kindergarten, I will be pushing myself to become a better teacher. 


No comments:

Post a Comment