Wednesday, November 4, 2015

On the Go...



Our theme for November is "On the Go".  We started off our fist week by learning a new word…Transportation! It's a big word. My class has a hard time remembering it when I ask "what is the word we use that means moving from one place to another?" But they know the answer to the question "What does transportation mean?" It's cute how their little brains work at this age. 



Our first Mother Goose Time activity this month was building roads. My #1 rule for art projects is keep all your pieces in your crayon box! This way their things don't get lost or mixed up with their neighbors. This is a huge deal for us. Every day someone franticly looks for lost pieces. They're usually in the garbage or with their neighbors stuff.

This particular activity required the class to self direct and manage themselves. They were able to manage their materials and build something that was uniquely their own. I want parents to know that even though some art projects might come home looking like a bunch of scribbles or random nothingness, they have learned some valuable skills during the process.


The instructions for building the road was simple but required listening and doing things in order. 

  1. Cut out the signs and put them in your crayon box
  2. Cut out the black paper to make roads. 
  3. Glue the black paper onto the green paper any way you want to. (I suggested that they have all the roads touch). 
  4. Use the white chalk to draw the lines on the road
  5. Assemble your signs and place them on your road (to save time, and tape, I taped the backs for them). 




There was a lot going on here but these guys were able to do exactly what I had planned for them. I know we all had a feeling of accomplishment because of the hard work. 




Even though it may not seem like it, most everything we do in preschool is educational. Because learning to think for yourself, being creative, making decisions, is all part of growing up. 

I love my little class and I'm grateful that I'm able to guid them on their journey. 

happy teaching friends

xoxo-Miss Mandy



No comments:

Post a Comment