Thursday, October 29, 2015

Reading and Playing

We are just about done with our Mother Goose Time "In the Orchard" unit and the month of October. Tomorrow we will have a Halloween party and then move on to our Transportation unit. 

The first two months of school seem to go so fast and these kids learn so much! 

 Here we are reading together in our books. I like to play a game called "parakeet repeat" when we read our books. I read the sentence to them and then have them repeat it after me. We do this a few times and then I let them read it to themselves. Then we take turns reading a page out loud to the class.

 I know that they aren't really "reading" but memorizing the page with the picture. But, that is how confidence is built and that is a big deal!


On Wednesday, we spent some time talking about birds. Our Mother Goose Time craft was adorable! We made these little baby birds from easter eggs and built them a nest.
 At the end of the day, we headed outside to gather leaves to use in our bird nests to make our baby birds a nice soft bed.

 They have such fun imaginations. I love hearing them play pretend and talk to their babies. It was all smiles at preschool today. I love that I can run my preschool program that allows for extra play time. I feel like other schools in our area are so focused on scholastics that play time is forgotten about.
This is how children learn best. Through Play!!!

 And even with extra play time, we still manage to learn all the letters, numbers, and reading skills necessary to succeed in kindergarten. But we are doing it while having fun.

Happy October!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment