Thursday, October 15, 2015

Learning to Write


When it comes to teaching a group of preschoolers how to write, it is important for me to keep it fun with low pressure. With my class this year I have seen some anxiety when I get out our writing journals. Writing can be hard! Especially when your 3! But by the time your 4 and 5 though… writing is more exciting because that little brain now understands that all those squiggles and shapes have meaning.

But teaching your child to write isn't as easy as putting a pencil in his hand and showing him the alphabet. Before he can print his name legibly, he'll need practice and encouragement! 

Did you know that the small hand muscles needed for writing aren't well formed in 3- and 4-year-old children? Scribbling and coloring (something we do each day in class) provide an intense workout that will help her strengthen up. I have lots of sneaky ways to help develop this muscle. Playing with play dough, cutting with scissors, lace ups, and my personal favorite, cleaning tables. I have a small spray bottle that they can squirt water onto their desks. This repetitive motion works that little muscle like no other! I also have an open station with fun papers, scissors  markers, and chalk that they are encouraged to play at during free time. Each time we do arts and crafts or a hands on activity, that muscle is developing. 

One of our Mother Goose Time activities this month was making caterpillars. This small motor movement is preparing them to hold their pencil correctly so they can begin to form all those squiggles into letters and numbers. I love the concentration!



Each month my class gets a new journal from Mother Goose Time. These are great tools to practice writing. I want my class to learn that they communicate through their writing and our journals are a great way to learn that concept. 
When we are working on our journals, we get to practice writing the letters and telling a story through pictures. 

When I see drawings or scribbles, I ask what the writing says. Sometimes this may be hard at first. So, I draw something and then tell the child just what I want it to say.  I like to give the opportunity for them to tell their story.   Some teachers and parents like to write what the child says alongside the writing.  This way your little writer can see how his words look in print. 





























I  want children to have the confidence that they can write!  I always want to focus not on what a child can’t do, but by building on what he does do!


When it comes to letter construction, there's no wrong way at this point. They'll learn the mechanics once they are in school, so don't sweat the small stuff. Instead, show how exciting writing can be so she sees it as a fun activity, not as a chore.


Because I know that journals isn't always the favorite thing to do, we will continue to work at it and I will continue to encourage them and keep it fun. And like a lot of things that aren't always easy, the sense of accomplishment they feel after the have completed the task is always positive. And to keep things fun and happy, I like to give stickers as rewards for working hard and learning something new! By the end of the year these boxes are covered! 



 Happy Writing Friends

xoxo Miss Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment